Whatever you do for a living, wherever your heart is, you still must eat. Having some basic skills will smooth out the rough spots in the day. Every week I add basic recipes to this website. These are early days, still in building this site, so please be patient with me.
This recipe is one of the easiest chicken meals to make and involves very few ingredients. I have added suggestions for vegan alternatives. It’s already gluten free. And the best part is that there’s only one pot to wash when it’s done.
Perfect Rice: Everyone has a favorite way to make rice. My secret formula is to cook the rice in two stages. The first stage is 10 minutes long at medium high and the second stage is 10 minutes long on low heat. In this way, the pot maintains enough heat for the rice to absorb the water without burning the rice on the bottom of the pot. And that’s it! Perfect rice every time.
[To print this recipe, please click on the link below to bring you to the recipe page. Or, you can use the drop-down menu above under Recipes.]
Time: This recipe takes about an hour to make.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 whole cut-up chicken or 4-5 chicken breasts.
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- Pinch saffron threads (Optional – this is expensive. It’s great, but not necessary)
- 4 cups chicken broth (if I’m short broth, I add water to make up the difference.)
- 2 cups long grain rice (you can use other types of rice, but adjust your liquid if necessary)
- 1 cup or more frozen peas and carrots (or any small cut up vegetables you like)
Serving options: A wedge of a lime as a garnish.Continue reading “One-Pot Chicken and Rice (plus a tip on making perfect rice)”