This is one of the easiest chicken meals to make and involves very few ingredients. And the best part is that there’s only one pot to wash when it’s done.
Perfect Rice: Everyone has a favorite way to make rice. My secret formula is to cook the rice in two stages. The first stage is 10 minutes long at medium high and the second stage is 10 minutes long on low heat. In this way, the pot maintains enough heat for the rice to absorb the water without burning the rice on the bottom of the pot. And that’s it! Perfect rice every time.
Time: This recipe takes about an hour to make.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 whole cut-up chicken or 4-5 chicken breasts.
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- Pinch saffron threads (Optional – this is expensive. It’s great, but not necessary)
- 4 cups chicken broth (if I’m short broth, I add water to make up the difference.)
- 2 cups long grain rice (you can use other types of rice, but adjust your liquid if necessary)
- 1 cup or more frozen peas and carrots (or any small cut up vegetables you like)
Serving options: A wedge of a lime as a garnish.
- Put the oil in a large pot on medium high heat. Add the chicken as soon as the oil is hot. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook on one side for five minutes. (The chicken will stick a little, but the pieces should release from the pot at the end of the five minutes.) Turn the chicken and cook another 5 minutes and add salt and pepper to taste on this side. (10 minutes total for this step.)
- Depending on the thickness of the chicken, you need to keep turning the chicken ever 3 minutes or so for another 10 to 15 minutes. If you think it’s done, take one piece out and cut through the thickest part. Do this until the chicken is cooked through.
- Reduce the heat to medium and remove the chicken from the pot. If you have more than 2 Tablespoons of oil and fat then pour off until you only have the 2 Tablespoons again. Add the garlic and onion and sauté for about 3-5 minutes until golden and soft. If you have the saffron toss in for another minute.
- Pour in the broth and the rice. Stir. Return the chicken. Turn the heat up to med-high until boiling.
- Once boiling turn the heat down to medium-low and cover for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn the heat down again to low and keep it covered and cooking another 10 minutes for a total of 20 minutes.
- Add in the frozen vegetables and cover for 5 minutes. You can keep the heat on very low or turn it off. (If I think the rice could cook a little longer, I’ll turn it back on low. Otherwise, let it sit covered.)
Family – This would be difficult to double in one pot because I can only fit four or five large pieces of chicken in the bottom of one pot. If I was cooking this for my whole family, I would double the recipe and use two large pots.
Ones and Twos – You can halve this recipe or save the leftovers for another day.
This is a gluten free recipe.
You can substitute the chicken broth with vegetable broth. Skip the chicken and go directly to sautéing the garlic and onions. At the end add serve with baked Tofu.
This can be made the day before and refrigerated.
This is a complete meal in itself, but biscuits would be a nice addition.